Monday, July 13, 2009

Added To The Collection - Batman #s 233 and 254 and Batman Family #3

Hey folks, sorry about the lack of story reviews at the moment. I wisely decided to start blogging again while on vacation in Maine and surprisingly, I haven't had much time to devote to the longer story reviews. Not to worry though, as the weeks coming up will be packed full of story reviews from all across the fifties era. Today I thought I'd make a quick post about some reprint issues I recently picked up. Copies of the original issues, even those right before the New Look Era began, seem to have been going up in price lately. Since I've been able to acquire all of the 80 Page Giant Batman issues, I thought I'd turn my attention to the other Batman giants DC published featuring fifties reprints.


Batman #233 - This was a 64 page giant issue featuring stories with a focus on Bruce Wayne, such as "The Murder of Bruce Wayne" and "Bruce Wayne's Aunt Agatha". Maybe I should do a Bruce Wayne week sometime.


Batman #254 - This was a 100 page giant and an interesting one in that it featured a story from each decade Batman had been published in up to the 70s, when the issue was published. There was only one reason I wanted this issue, however, and it of course concerned the fifties era reprint. From Batman #145 and the year 1962 to be exact..."The Son of The Joker". I scoured eBay for weeks trying to pick up the original issue until I discovered that it had been reprinted in a much more affordable issue all along. It's a story featuring one of my favorite gimmicks from the fifties era, The Second Batman and Robin Team, and if you recall my hint last week, this is the gimmick I alluded to. I'll be reviewing a trio of Batman II and Robin II tales soon and having read "The Son of The Joker" already, I can say it has one of the greatest panels to ever be printed in a Batman comic.


Batman Family #3 - When it comes to Batman reprints, this issue's a home run as far as I'm concerned. You have the second appearance of Batwoman, the first appearance of Kite-Man, and a classic Golden Age Dick Sprang story in "The Year 3,000". And for the fans of Batwoman and Bat-Girl out there, not to worry, I will be giving them their due spotlight in the future; I just don't want to hit all of the major issues of the era too soon.

1 comment:

David said...

I have very fond and powerful memories of Batman #254 and it was my great pleasure a few years ago to meet Nick Cardy and have him sign a copy.

But really, Dick Grayson as Batman and Bruce Wayne's son as Robin? They sure had some nutty ideas ideas in the 50s, didn't they?

What's that? Oh...I see...nevermind.